5th week of the 2013 challenge

5th week? Wow, I can't believe I've made it this far. And so far the others are right there with me. Great start to 2013. Next week will be the last, and then we'll post our total accomplishments.

Now for another recipe from Stanalei Fletcher
Kim’s Chili

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Reduced Fat Ground Sausage, but could use ground turkey sausage, instead.)
3 16 oz cans of whole tomatoes. (I bottle my tomatoes from the garden and use 3 pints)
1 small can tomato paste
1 large onion chopped
1 tbls cumin
1 ½ tbls chili powder
1 ½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup beef bullion granules
1-2 cans red beans drained
1-2 cans kidney beans drained
Brown ground beef and sausage and drain
Put tomatoes with all the juice in a crockpot and break/chop up a little.
Add all the other ingredients to crockpot mix a little.
Cook on low for at least 3-4 hours.
Serving size 1 cup. (It’s pretty hard to stop at one cup)
Nutrition Facts Jimmy Dean Reduced Fat Sausage: Serving size 2 oz. 140 Calories, 10g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 1g total carbohydrate, 10g protein. Daily allowance Vit A 2%, Iron 6%

Judy Baker and her second recipe
Sautéed Red Snapper with Onion Relish
1 red onion, diced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, dices
6 pimiento-stuffed green olives (1 ounce) chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
¼ cup fresh lime juice
4 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
4 skinless red snapper fillets (about 6 ounces each) remove any visible bones
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
Combine onion and ice water in a separate bowl.

Combine in a medium bowl, bell pepper, olives, mint, 3 tablespoon lime juice, honey, vinegar and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Place the flour on a sheet of waxed paper. Dredge the fillets in the flour, shake off excess.

Nonstick skillet, heat oil until hot over medium heat. Add snapper and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 minutes per side.

Drain onions, pat dry and add to the bowl with bell pepper mixture, stir. Serve the snapper with the relish.

** Did you know that a brief soaking in ice water tames the onion’s bite?
**You can substitute any firm-fleshed white fish: striped bass or sole

Fat: 7G/23%
Calories: 273
Saturated Fat: 1Gg
Carbohydrate: G16
Protein: 36G
Cholesterol: 63 MG
Sodium: 558MG

Author Spotlight
Judy Baker

Hello, I’m Judy Baker and was excited about this fitness challenge with the support of many great authors. I have bad eating habits. My husband gets upset with me because I forget to eat during the day. I have morning coffee with him before he leaves for work, and that’s when I head for my office to write. Once I place my butt in front of the computer, I get lost in the world of writing, editing, emailing, and all the other stuff writers do. Before retiring from my day job in July, my office was on the second floor and I had to run up and down the stairs continuously, which was a good thing. Now, not only have I put on those holiday ten pounds, but my muscles are flab from sitting in front of the computer at home.

My first fitness challenge was to cut the sweets that were so readily available during the holidays – you know, all the fudge, rice crispy squares, cookies, cakes and pies, etc., that tempt us from Halloween to New Years, and low and behold, January arrives and you find you’re addicted. So far, I've been a good girl.

I purchased a DVD especially for this challenge – yoga, which works on toning, strengthening muscles and flexibility, plus, I dusted off my treadmill. Since the weather is freezing and I haven’t walked our dog in months, I thought the treadmill would be a substitute until spring. Too bad I can’t get my dog to use it. Check out how my first week of torture went on my blog: http://judyswriting.blogspot.com

And, if I get down and depressed about something, I promise not to eat a whole half gallon of chocolate ice cream all by myself.
Judy Baker http://judybaker.coffeecup.com
e-Books Anna Sugg http://anna_sugg.coffeecup.com

The Quartering Act Buy Link

Everyone's weekly accomplishments
Melissa Mayhue: Not as good as I would like, but definitely better than last week! Down 2 pounds. Walked 3 times this week. [We're in for a warm stretch of weather, so I'm hoping for more walking this week].
Annie Adams: I remained the same give or take an ounce or two. I did not meet all of my cardio goals this week! Did my push ups and sit ups though.
Marie Sterbenz: I am behind my goal. I am only down another half pound. I should be down 4lbs by now and am only down 3. The older one gets the harder it is to take it off.
Stanalie Flecther: I gained a pound back from over loss last week when I was sick. That pretty much puts me back on track for the 1lb a week.
Judy Baker: I didn't exercise on Monday (stuff happens!) but decided not to stress about it and follow through the rest of the week, which I did. This fourth week was the hardest, for whatever reason I really don't know, but I just didn't want to workout. I forced myselt, gritted my teeth and worked out the last 4 days. And, of course, I felt better afterward.
Mary Martinez: I lost 2.6 lbs this week to hit a total of 10 lbs for the challenge! I also walked 10 minutes a day four times this week. Thanks for all the support.

Comments

stanalei said…
Judy, you inspire me. Your workouts have encouraged me to do more.
Thanks to all the authors in the challenge! It has helped me tremendously.

Popular Posts