Thursday in the garden

I have no idea what to blog about today. So I went to the cupboard and dug out the family cook book. My mom helped put this together, she's been gone for over twenty-five years. This will give you a bit of a clue how hold this recipe is.

However, I feel a good recipe is timeless--don't you?


Vegetable and Zucchini chili
2 or 3 lbs hamburger- browned. Add salt, pepper, garlic salt to season lightly as cooking.
Saute:
2 medium onions-Chopped
2 cups celery-Chopped
6 cups grated zucchini, unpeeled if skin is not tough (scoop out seeds)
8 to 10 mushrooms, chopped
Add sauted vegetables to browned hamburger.
Add:
1 can (15 oz) tomato paste or sauce (add one can of water)
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 can (15 oz) Hormel hot chili
2 cabs (15oz) red kidney beans
 Jalapeno peppers may be used to make it spicier. Remove when desired hotness is reached.

Cook together until desired consistency is reached. Left overs can be frozen for later.

Okay anyone who tries this, let me know how you like it. Most likely this would go better with beer. But if you like wine (like I do) a red Zin would be best or a soft white.

Comments

Donna Cummings said…
This sounds wonderful. When it finally cools down again, I'm definitely trying it. Especially since you recommended it with a red zin -- that's my fave wine. :)
Mary said…
Donna,
I love red zin too. But then I'm a wino!

Popular Posts