Hump day at the garden

Good Morning!

As summer slips into fall I start thinking--Soup. Yeah I know weird. But what is better on a brisk autumn day than a tasty bowl of soup with a roll? I'm going to share one of my favorites.

Before I make my soup, I have a nice Sunday dinner of Spiral cut ham, with garlic mashed potatoes and corn. And usually rolls. Yes I know high calorie, but it's all in the portions, remember you can eat what you want you just have to use good portion control.

Anyway, after dinner I boil whatever ham left off the bone. I strain it and remove the bone and fat, etc. and then I shred it and put it away for my soup. Basically two meals in one.

Blackeye pea soup! (I make a lot so I can freeze some)
2 packages blackeye peas. Soak for eight hours in water
2 cup chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic chopped (1 tbsp)
2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
20 oz shredded ham (Approx. if you have less ham, you'll need to adjust the other ingredients accordingly)
12 cups water
Season with salt, pepper, crushed chili - to taste.
Add all together in the Crockpot and cook on low about 6 hours. Serve with rolls. Or whatever you'd like.

Enjoy! This goes well with a Ste. Chapelle Riesling.

Comments

Popular Posts