Mother's Day carried on

Good Morning! I'm a bit late with my post this week. I just plain ran out of time this weekend. Mother's day was full of cooking dinner and family. My kids as usual, spoiled me. Anyway, welcome to the garden, it's a bit rainy here so fill up your plates and pour yourself a beverage and find a seat in the Rose House.

I lost my mother over thirty years ago and I still miss her everyday. I thought in her honor I would carry on Mother's day. I'm going to tell you a couple of my favorite memories. She was a character. She loved April Fool's day, I'm not sure why. And bless her heart she always tried to fool us. The problem was, she'd do the same things every year. We always knew that we'd have hot dogs for lunch that day. Why? Because they were rubber. The first time we were surprised, but for the next several years, not so much. We were good sports and pretended. Poor dad, my mother never made him lunch, except... You got it, April Fools Day. She would put a piece of Saran Wrap in between two pieces of meet. That was mom!

She was an incredible pie baker. She had groups around the valley asking for her to come and demonstrate her crust. It was so flaky it melted in your mouth. Can I do that? No my pies are like filling between two hockey pucks. I have her famous Blackberry, Blueberry, Coconut Creme pie recipe. I was going to share it, but I was overwhelmed just reading it over. She was an incredible baker. Not only that she hand dipped cherry chocolates every Christmas. Mom had diabetes, so she couldn't eat all of her treats. No wonder I have a weight problem I had to eat everything.

I'm going to share one of her delicious easier recipes.

Marshmallow Chocolate Cookies.
Cream together: 1 cup butter and 1 cup Sugar
Add 1 egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla.

1/2 cup nuts (chopped)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt

Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. **Bake 15 minutes on 350 degrees. Take out of oven and place 1/2 large marshmallow in center of each cookie. When cool top with chocolate frosting and place a nut on top.

**Dough is stiff - roll in hands by a tablespoon and smooth out and put on greased pan. Makes about 3 doz cookies.

What is a funny story about your mom?

Comments

stanalei said…
Great memories, Mary. One year for April Fool's my mother put cold spaghetti noddles in our beds...after I'd switched the sugar and the salt for breakfast that morning. Lesson learned!
Mary said…
LOL. Cold noodles, I'll have to remember that. My mom was such a trickster. For girls came she'd wake us up every morning by banging pans together. We hid all her pans, she found something else to bang.

Thanks for dropping by Stanalei.
Anonymous said…
Wow! I had no idea about April Fool's. She never did anything to me on that day. That's so funny. Thank you for sharing that.
And she was an amazing cook! I also was going to make that famous pie of hers but was just as overwhelmed reading the recipe.
I miss her so much too.
She was an amazing pianist and organist. Amazing at knitting, crocheting, needlepoint.
Her talents were endless. I wish I had payed more attention when she wanted me to learn stuff. I just thought she'd be around forever. And as a kid, I honestly believed she would be.
Love you Mary!
Lisa Jordan said…
Oops! I'm not anonymous.

Popular Posts