2nd week of the 2013 Challenge

Welcome to the 2nd week of our challenge to become fit and fabulous! And thank you for your support and cheerleading.

Here is a recipe from Mary Martinez
Split Pea and Ham Soup 15 / 1 cup servings
2 cans Chicken Broth 99% fat free and low sodium
2 cans water
1- 16 oz pgk Green Split Peas
2 cups Ham chopped
1 cup Onion chopped
1 jalapeno - seeded and chopped
1 cup Carrots chopped
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Crushed Chili Pepper
1-2 bay leaf
Stir together and bring to boil. Turn to Med / Low and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Until vegies are tender.
Server with white wine and rolls.
Per 1cup serving: Approx. 142 Calories, 3g Total Fat, 1g Saturated fat, 22mg Cholesterol, 434mg Sodium, 21g Total Carbohydrates, 8g Dietary Fiber, 4g Sugars, 15g Protein. Daily Req. Vitamin A 29%, Vitamin C 3%, Calcium 1%, Iron 9%

A recipe from Marie Sterbenz
Fruit Smoothie
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks (Cal 80)
1 cup plain yogurt (Cal 100)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 packet Splenda or equal
1/2 cup Apple juice (Cal 56)
Place in blender and blend until smooth. You can eat this with a spoon like soft serve. For fewer calories use any flavor crystal light.
Total Calories 236

Author Spotlight
Marie Sterbenz

I'm Marie Sterbenz, and I'm an avid Rachael Ray fan. I love her easy way of cooking. I know she advocates all things in moderation, and if you eat well you can eat more. I'm big on eating more. I have discovered that when I eat my own home cooking using Rachael's methods I will lose weight. Eating out or eating fast food just puts weight on me. Especially ice cream, one of my hubby's favorite deserts. It will put the pounds on me faster than you can blink an eye.

My biggest problem is I am a type 2 diabetic, and I know what foods to stay away from, but I can't always resist those that are bad for me. So for the next six weeks I will try to behave and that should help me reach my goal. If I don't I will not beat myself up over it. I'll just pick myself up and start over again. Lucky for me I don't snack while I am writing. My keyboard objects to having crumbs on it.
Marie Web site: http://www.mariesterbenz.com/
The Magic Stone Buy Link

Everyone's weekly accomplishments
Melissa Mayhue: Three pounds for me. Unfortunately, knowing how my body works, I'm sure that's water weight so now I'll be dealing with REAL pounds and it will slow down drastically. I walked four out of the last seven days for thirty minutes each time. Stuck to the new eating plan so, all in all, on track.

Annie Adams: I'm down two lbs this week, like Melissa, I think I can attribute it to water, but we'll see.

Marie Sterbenz: I did not make my goal. However I did not gain anything either. That means next week I have to lose two pounds.

Stanalie Flecther: Managed at least 10 minutes of exercise each day this week Lost 1 lb.

Judy Baker: Started on Monday with a 20 minute exercise routine and increased by third day to 40 minutes. I'm I feeling better, hmm, I'll let you know after week two.

Mary Martinez: Lost 5.4 lbs - I think I'm in shock. I know most of that's water! I walked approx. 10 min per weekday. (to/from work to the train)

Comments

stanalei said…
Yummy recipes. Adding these to my list too. Keep up the great work, everyone.
Mary said…
Congrats everyone! I'm adding the smoothy to my cookbook also! Can't wait for more.
Unknown said…
Lots of carbs these days! Luckily there has been increased calorie burning too!
Keep at ladies! Even if you don't lose weight, you'll feel better from moving your body and cleaning up your diet. Applause for your efforts! I'm making the split pea soup tomorrow.
Yum!

Popular Posts