Annual Midway Trip

For the last eight years our friends have hosted a golf / camping trip in Midway, Utah. We started going around five years ago, and now it's an annual trip for us. We have so much fun. I don't golf--next year I hope to though--but my husband does. So while the golfer's golf, I do whatever. Sometimes I stay in camp and read, other times I bead and make bracelets, and this year I went on a hike.

I was gone an hour and a half. No it wasn't like strenuous, I'm too out of shape. I took a trail. And I realized after about 40 minutes, other than wearing sturdy shoes, I'd done every no-no in the book. First as I left the camp, I hadn't planned to actually follow any trail, just go for a walk. So I didn't take any water.

As I walked along the road, I looked over to the golf course, and there was my husband and his foursome on the first hole. What are the odds? It couldn't have happened if I'd planned it. So I stood and watched--probably jinxed him--and then continued. I found a path and though ummm why don't I follow this?

There were beautiful flowers--a big patch of sunflowers, my favorite--along the way. And as the path continues, I saw signs for different trails. I took the visitor center loop. The view of the valley was awesome. After I'd been gone awhile, I realized I'd forgotten to take anything for my allergies that sometimes kicks up nor did I think about the bugs, so I hadn't used any propellant.

As I continued the path narrowed into a trail, then narrowed into a sort of trail through lots of greenery. I determined to myself if it got to the point of 'bushwacking', a term my friends use (I'm not sure if it's an official hiking term or not), I'd turn around. It never got to that point. But finally after about 45 minutes and the trail still, as far as I could figure, wasn't really looping, so would it be further to turn and go back or continue? While I was trying to decide what to do, I heard rustling up a head. Immediately pictures of news reports about lone hikers and runners encountering cougers crossed my mind. I pulled my phone out, I figured I ought to tell someone where I was. No service.

I turned around.
So, here are the things I learned, if you're hiking/walking by yourself:
1. Take water.
2. Tell someone where you're going. If you find a trail go back to camp and let them know, or call while you have service.
3. Put on Insect repellent.
4. Take your allergy pills.
5. Plan how far you're going to go before you start off.

In my defense, it's been a long time since I've gone on a hike, and also I hadn't really intended to. I had a great bit of ME time...

Saturday evening after everyone returned to camp after the day's golf and adventures we had--as we do every year--pot luck. I tried a new recipe, it turned out so good, I'm sharing. (Of course)

Black bean & corn salad 10 servings.
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper chopped
1/2 Green Bell Pepper chopped
1/4 large Red onion chopped
1 Jalapeno chopped (seeds optional)
2 tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp savory
1/4 tsp. Black ground peppers
Place all in a big bowl and stir thoroughly. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Makes 10 - 1/2 cup servings
Calories 173, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 629mg, Total Carbohydrates 29g, Dietary Fiber 8g, Sugars 5g, protein 9g. Vitamin A 1%, Vitamin C 28%, Calcium 3% and Iron 12%.

Hope you enjoy!

Comments

Lindsay said…
At least you got back to share this recipe with us
Mary said…
True, Lindsay. I'm glad I found my way back. LOL.
Julie said…
You can make this yummy salad with "Garlic Expressions" dressing as well - a tall green bottle of dressing sometimes found in the produce section. Just one less step at the end of a busy day!

Popular Posts