Jambalaya in the garden

I used to think I was Irish in another life, now I'm not so sure. Or maybe I was Irish. Then the next time I came back I was Cajun and now I'm just a mutt. What do you think?

Jambalaya (4 servings)
2 link hot sausage sliced
1/2 lb shrimp tail off
3 Tsp. Cajun Seasoning (Below)
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper chopped
1/2 cup Onion Chopped
1 1/2 stalks celery sliced
1/2 JalapeƱo chopped
1 1/2 cup rice (minute)
1 Tbsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 can Chicken Broth 98% fat free
3 Tomatoes chopped
2 bay leaf
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 Tbsp oil
Slice sausage place in bowl with shrimp, add Cajun seasoning and mix and set aside. Add oil to skillet and add peppers, onion and celery simmer until tender then add shrimp and sausage. Cook on medium until tender. In a sauce pan add broth, pepper, salt, bay leaf, tomatoes, garlic, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce stir in rice. Cook until rice is beginning to be tender and then add meat and vegetable mixture. Simmer, stirring occasionally until rice is done.

Serve with rolls or garlic bread and Riesling
Calories 338, Total Fat 16g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 121mg, sodium 901mg, Carbohydrate 24g, dietary fiber 2g, sugars 4g, protein 26g. Vitamin A 24%, Vitamin C 52%, Calcium 8% and Iron 15%

Cajun Spice Mix I found this on About.com (I added a bit more Cayenne to mine)
Mix the following pour into a jar with a tight lid and store in dry place. 1 TBSP servings (13 calories)
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Chili Powder
1/4 cup Paprika
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp basil


Hope you enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts