Disappointed in the garden!

May I just say this... I have been so excited for some new fall and/or Halloween recipes. However, no one is entering my contest. Yes the Coffee Time Romance Crew last week posted some, and they'll all be in the drawing, but where is everyone else? Okay I'll be quiet now.

However, I am going to share something I found in the Salt Lake City Tribune. It was originally posted in The Associated Press.

Want a low-fat chowder? First, cut out the milk. Yup!

I bring you a recipe--big surprise LOL. I am going to try this the next time I go to the store. This sounds awesome.
Butternut squash and scallop chowder (4 servings)

2 cups peeled and diced butternut or other winter squash
2 cups medium or hot tomato salsa
1 (14 1/2 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup crumbled reduced-fat corn tortilla chips
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound bay scallops
1 tablespoon lime juice
lime wedges for squeezing
In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine squash, salsa, broth and tortilla chips. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and cook until the squash is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in corn, oregano and cumin. Return the soup to a simmer, stir in scallops and cook until they are opaque at the center, 2 to 3 minutes more. stir in the lime juice. Serve with additional lime wedges for squeezing.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number)
Calories 258
Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fats 0g
Cholesterol 37mg
Carbohydrate 35 g
Protein 23 g
Fiber 6 g
Sodium 1165 mg

Happy Chowder!

Comments

Lindsay said…
Mary since I'm not a squash eating type could I substitute potatoes. Other than that the soup sounds good.
Mary said…
Hey I experiment all the time. Potatoes sounds good!

Popular Posts