Re-post from 2011 - Holiday traditions

This is a re-post from Thanksgiving past...

Traditions. This month is all about traditions, anyway it is to me. I love the holidays when it snows and your mom fills the kitchen with the smell of vanilla.

I'd love to hear what your traditions are!

One of our traditions is Candied Yams. This year at Thanksgiving, I added a twist--well I didn't dare cut out the candied ones or my kids would never forgive me. So I had two dishes. Traditional and Jamaica Yams. I thought I'd share the recipes.

Candied Yams -- Too many calories to count.
4 large yams cleaned, peeled an sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1 bag of miniature marshmallows
 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
dash of cinnamon
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place a row of sliced yams on the bottom of an oven safe baking dish. Put bits of butter over them, sprinkle with brown sugar and add a row of marshmallows. Repeat until the dish is filled. sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for an hour.

Jamaican Yams 
4 Yams cleaned, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
Canola butter
1 1/2 tsp Jamaican spice
Add a row of yams to the bottom of a oven safe baking dish, then add some low cal butter and sprinkle with Jamaican spice, then repeat until dish is full.
Spice:
1/8 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1/8 tsp Clove (Ground)
1/2 tsp Ground Chili's
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder.
Use mortar and pestle to grind until powdering.
After sprinkling you should have some left. Great rubbed into pork and then grilled.

Next week March 2, 2015 I will be announcing my March contest and prize in honor of St. Patty's Day and my birthday!

Comments

Popular Posts