Dinner with the neighbors

A couple of nights ago we made dinner for a few neighbors. I didn't know what to do, since I'd be at work all day. So I made a deal with Ron (Hubby) that he'd take care of the meat and I'd take care of salad and rice when I got home.

Then there was an accident on the freeway and I was later getting home than usual. Isn't that the way it always happens? Yup, it is for me. But I was able to squeak by in just enough time with my recipe for my Rice Pilaf. I sort of made it up as I went. And everyone seemed to like it. Of course if I'm at someone's house I've been known to keep quiet if I didn't like what they made. What about you? But I liked it.

Rice Pilaf  6 servings.
1 pkg. Long Grain & wild rice Rice A Roni
1 cup of Long Grain white Rice
2 Cans (14 oz) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 Green bell pepper chopped
1/4 onion chopped
1/4 purple bell pepper chipped (if available or substitute with red)
1 stalk celery sliced thin
Fresh basil shredded about a dozen leaves or so, to taste
1 tbsp butter/margarine
Sautee veggies in butter until tender add season packet from Rice-a-Roni mix and then add broth and rice. Bring to boil, then lower to medium/low heat and cook--stirring occasionally--for 25 minutes. Then serve.

Because I used the box of Rice-a-roni and didn't make it with their recipe, etc. I'm guessimating the calories to be about 220 per serving.  We served it with Teri-yaki chicken, sunflower honey bread and salad. Great combo...

Comments

Popular Posts