Soup in the Garden

I don't know about you but for me, it's that time of year where a nice hot bowl of soup sounds awesome. So here is one of my favorite recipes. It's a combination of a recipe I found and changes I've made/added.

Black eyed Pea Soup 1 cup servings
16 oz (Approximately) Shredded Ham--When we're done with a spiral ham I boil the meat off the bone and then shred it.
1 12 Oz. package of Black eyed peas (soaked overnight in water)
1 cup Bell Green Peppers, chopped
1 cup Bell Yellow Peppers, chopped
1 cup Bell Red Peppers, chopped
1 cup chopped Onion
2 cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 cans Fat-Free Chicken Broth
3 cans water
1/2 tsp. Basil
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. Chili powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp. Marjoram
1/2 Tsp. Thyme
1/2 Tsp. Rosemary

Cook on low in the Crockpot 8-10 hours (until peas are soft)
Calories 186, 2g Total Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 15mg Cholesterol, 308mg Sodium, 29g Carbohydrate, 6g Dietary Fiber, 4g Sugar, 15g. Protein. Vit. A 6%, Vit. C 54%, Calcium 6%, Iron 21%

Enjoy!

I'd love to interview some of my readers about their favorite things, places, restaurants and recipes. Please email if you're up to the challenge. mary@marymartinez.com

Comments

Popular Posts