Cookies and Pizza in the garden!

It's cookie day today. I've had some great luck making a couple of batches for the kids on Papa and Nana night. I'm sure you're wondering what cookies and pizza have to do with each other. We'll it was Halloween Papa and Nana night. First the kids carved pumpkins then we made pizza. Fun idea for Halloween or any night with the kids. We used the following:
Pillsbury Thin Crust dough (The kind in the can you keep refrigerated)
Cheese
Pizza Sauce
Pepperoni
Pineapple
Ham
Jalapeno's
Onions
We made two for the kids and two for the adults. The kids one was pepperoni and shaped like a pumpkin and the other was ham and pineapple and shaped as a ghost. Okay here are visuals.
And the adults had square ones, with all the fun stuff like Jalapeno's and onions!

Then came the cookies, I saw a fun recipe with low calories in the Salt Lake Tribune. I thought hey I want to try that. Then as I looked over the recipe I wondered if the kids would like it, or if only the adults would. I decided to make two kinds, then everyone would like at least one if not both. (I made these the day before)

Pumpkin Double-ginger cookies (Source: The Associated Press)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek-style Yogurt
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized Ginger (yes there is such a thing, it's by the spices)
2 cups sifted cake flour (I never sift anything)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat it to 350 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment. (what is that? I just use the spray).

In a large bowl combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Whisk until smooth--I just used a spoon, I'm lazy. Stir in the crystallized ginger.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing until just blended.

Drop tablespoons of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. bake, in 2 batches if necessary, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool. (I just let them sit on the pan until cool, then put them in the container I was storing them in)

Nutrition information per cookie: 54 calories, 7 cal. from fat (13 percent of total calories); 1 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 38 mg sodium. Makes 40 cookies.

FYI- I decided that since I had pumpkin and yogurt left over I'd double the batch. I have the 2nd batch in my freezer because 40 is plenty. They are very good, not very sweet.

The next recipe I made up. I opened my cook book and compared how much flour to use per baking powder, etc. But they turned out awesome, I was surprised. Especially since I discovered my baking powder was dated to be used by 2002. Who knew it stayed good that long.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (Source: Me)
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder (dated as early as 2002 LOL)
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cups shortening
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 ripe banana, mashed
12 oz. bag semi sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease with cooking spray backing sheets.

In a large bowl cream the shortening and the sugar together. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. Beat in the bananas. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly colored. Cool.

Makes about 45 cookies. Calories 143: Fat 6g, Saturated fat 2g, Cholesterol 19 mg, Sodium 48 mg, Carbohydrates 21g, Sugars 14g, Protein 2. Vit. C 2%, Iron 4%.

So not too bad on the calories for a dessert! Make a batch for Halloween and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts