Mary's Ramblings - Welcome Guest Blogger Lindsay Downs

Welcome, Lindsay Downs, thanks for dropping by to give us an excellent scenario! I hope all of you enjoy it as much as I did.

Before we start, I’d like to thank Mary for inviting me to be her first guest scenario blogger. She asked me on Monday, so the same codicil applies here as with hers.
The wine I chose to accompany the scene is from Fetzer Vineyards, California.
Valley Oaks Merlot 2007 Vintage. The bottle retails for $8.99 in Connecticut. According to the back label it has an ‘aroma of ripe plums and flavors of blackberry and cherry’. It does.

Scene-
Lillie worried her bottom lip in the hope of distracting her mind from the pain of the cramped calf muscle. Then again, she wasn’t surprised the cramping had taken so long.
She’d been lying in the same position for several hours now. Nestled against a fresh tree fall, the pine needle covered branches helping to disguise her. The ground, when she’d reached her vantage point, had been sun warmed. That had been one blessing. Now, with the sky turning the reddish-purple as the sun set, the ground started to chill. As did her body.
She felt the slight weight on her calf as a snake slithered over one leg. Lillie shallowed her breathing while mentally getting her body to relax. She didn’t want to make any sudden moves. Slowly the rattlesnake slid over her other leg and disappeared. For the first time in what seemed like hours but only seconds Lillie drew in a deep breath.
Now free of the distraction, Lillie refocused her attention on the cave mouth in time to see the deputy sheriff come fully into view. A long knife, gleaning from reflected sun, resting comfortable in one hand. The other hidden but from the arm’s angle she suspected the hand wasn’t empty.

Through the scope nestled on her M4 she followed the deputy as he approached his latest victim, tied spread-eagled over a boulder.

From behind his back the Deputy brought out a wine bottle straight to his lips. He paused. An menacing grin formed on his lips. He tilted the bottle, letting a few drops trickle out onto the hapless captive. Simultaneously he lifted the knife, to strike the man in the chest.

The sound of a single shot echoed down the valley.

Thanks again Lindsay! I'm not a big fan of Merlot, but I will try it.

Don't forget the drawing for a Mug and $10 Starbucks GC. All you have to do is comment and/or follow the blog to get your name thrown into the hat.

Comments

Margaret Tanner said…
Hi Mary,
Looks like I'm your first visitor tonight. That was interesting. The bit about the snake gave me chills. I hate the horrible creatures, although we get a lot of snakes here in Australia.

Regards
Margaret
Cassy Pickard said…
Good imagery, Lindsay! I was in Arizona last week and saw my first rattle snake. It really does make an amazing sound when annoyed! As for Merlot- we'll see about getting to change your mind, Mary.

Fun blog. I'll be stopping by on a regular basis. Cassy
RhondaL said…
Excellent work in planting those clues, Lindsay. Great lead-up to the reveal.
Mary said…
Thanks Lindsay for sharing and being my guest today.

I'm not a fan of snakes, and there is no way I'd have been able to hold still!

Cassy, there are a few Merlot's I've tried and liked, but mostly I don't care for them. It my be psychological after watching Sideways. LOL
What a great excerpt. Count me in for the drawing, if I'm not too late.
Thanks!
Mary said…
Clarissa,
You're in the drawing goes through July 9th.
Mary!
Collette Thomas said…
I used to enjoy Merlot, then went to Cabernet Sauvignon, and depending on mood, enjoy a nice Zinfandel. While browsing through a local store, I came upon a nice wine from California -- Menage a Trois -- yes,that's the name of the wine made up of a blend of you got it--Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Plus considering what I write and am published in, the label Menage a Trois was quite apropos.
I've been to Arizona and so far have not had an encounter with these snakes. Great scene!

Collette Thomas
Mary said…
Collette, I have tried Menage a Trois great blend. If you like California wines try a Lodi Zin, especially old vines.

Thanks everyone for dropping by. Today is shaping up to be a fun one!
Lindsay said…
It is rumored that snakes are more scared of us than we are of them. If that's the case why, when I've come across one, I get the heart palatations and run the other way. They are the one creature I'm most afraid of.
Collette, I switch back and forth between Merlot and Cab Sav. Sort of depends on my mood at the time.
Cassy, I do partake of clear wines at time. Once again it's a mood thing.
Margaret, If I'm not mistaken you have one of the top 10 most deadly snakes in the world down under.
Mary Ricksen said…
What a great excerpt. God I have to know who did the shooting!!
Gotta have this book!
Leigh said…
Must be a brave lady not to shriek with a snake slithering across her leg! Thank goodness we don't have snakes here in N.Z. Thanks for the suspensful excerpt.
Lindsay said…
Mary-I'll put you on the list of people who want the book, when I finish writing it.
Leigh-Lillie is an Army ranger
Mary said…
Leigh,
No snakes where you live? You are SO lucky!

Lindsay, you're a hit I'll have to have you back soon.
Lindsay said…
Mary,
I'll come back any time with murder and maybe even some mayhem. No snakes either.
Just bring the wine.
Mary said…
Wine's always welcome here. Murder any time too. Snakes we can live without.

Although there are usually snakes in the garden, yikes I hope there are none behind my table!
Lindsay said…
Good. No snakes visible in the picture.
I'll have a Cab Sav if you've got any handy. Make sure you open the bottle so the wine can breathe.
Chrissy said…
what a wonderful blog! I follow now and have to say I love your excerpt - no snakes here thankfully! :)

lucybrad23{at}gmail{dot}com
traveler said…
An interesting and lively post today. Thanks. Snakes are my extreme phobia, cannot even look at photos.

Popular Posts