Definition Rambles

I looked up a definition today and realized that I was regarding the wording and in my mind adding what it meant to me as a writer. So I thought I'd check some more out. And I really thought it helped me with my motivation today. I'm not feeling so well--sinus cold--and it's snowy and I needed something.

Courage:
Websters dictionary: 1. the attitude of facing and dealing with anything recognized as dangerous, difficult, or painful, instead of withdrawing from it; quality of being fearless or brave; valor.
Writer's POV: 1. the attitude of facing and dealing with a blank page and the difficulty and painful duty to fill it with words, instead of withdrawing from it; quality of being fearless or brave when presenting those words you've written to the world--agents/editors; valor.

Determination:
Websters dictionary: 1. a determining or being determined (in all senses of the verb) 2 a decision arrived at by thought and investigation: conclusion 3 a firm intention. 4 the quality of being resolute; firmness of purpose.
Writer's POV: 1. a determining or being determined (in all senses of the verb) to reach your goal. 2 a decision arrived at by thought and investigation: conclusion, that you will not give up. 3 a firm intention to reach your goal dispite all odds. 4 the quality of being resolute; firmness of purpose. You will not back down, even in the face of rejection.

Honor:
Websters dictionary: (I've only used a small portion of the actual definition) 2 a keen sense of right and wrong; adherence to action or principles considered right; integrity / to conduct oneself with honor.
Writer's POV:   2 a keen sense of right and wrong, never to use others ideas, adherence to action or principles considered right by giving honest opinions to others work; integrity / to conduct oneself with honor not using hurtful words to describe others writing when you know they've poured their soul into it.

Confidence:
Websters dictionary: 1 firm belief; trust; reliance 2 the fact of being or feeling certain; assurance 3 belief in one's own abilities; self-confidence. 
Writer's POV: 1 firm belief; trust; reliance, despite the rejections, you will succeed. 2 the fact of being or feeling certain; assurance, your work is good. 3 belief in one's own abilities; self-confidence. You will find an agent and/or editor who loves your style and story.


(Goes hand in hand with the above...)

Faith:
Websters dictionary: 1 unquestioning belief that does not require proof or evidence.
Writers POV: 1 unquestioning belief that does not require proof or evidence that you will succeed!

Last but not least:
Success:
Webster dictionary: 1 result; outcome 2 a) a favorable or satisfactory outcome or result b) something having such an outcome.
Writer's POV:  1 result; outcome when an agent or editor requests a full 2 a) a favorable or satisfactory outcome or result, an agent wants to to represent you. b) something having such an outcome, that your book reaches the NY Times bestseller.

These are my definitions, maybe yours are different. But this is what keeps me at my keyboard day after day. 

Comments

Lesli Muir Lytle said…
Nice Mary.
Thanks for the pep talk!
Lesli
Oh, I like this. Very good motivation! Thanks for thinking of this and blogging about it.

~Phyllis~
Mary said…
I needed something today, now I just need to implement it!
stanalei said…
Very noteworthy. Thanks for taking the time to make it all relavant.
Stanalei

Popular Posts