Music Review from a concert slut!

Okay it's been awhile since I posted. 1. I'm reading Gone with the Wind, it's going to be a while before I finish. 2. I've been very busy with family and editing mostly.

Those who know me, know that my husband and I are concert whores we pretty much want to do them all. So I'm going to give you my review of our spring and summer of music. I had thought to do it one at a time, and I think I did a couple--I'll leave those out, but decided to do them all in one big review.


Let's start with our first, not really a concert, but music all the same.
Jersey Boys
A Broadway musical about the Broadway musical about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Great play, fantastic. We took my mother in law who used to listen to the boys on Dick Clark's Bandstand. She beboped through the entire show, oh and sang too. We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon spent with the Jersey Boys. If you get a chance, go see it.
I give this a 4
For those who do not know who Mark Knopfler is, he was originally the lead singer for Dire Straits. The first concert I went to of Mark's was a few years ago, I wasn't that thrilled. However, it turned out to be one of the best one's I've ever been too. He doesn't sing much of his old music from the group, it's mostly all his. And it's wonderful. So I surprised my husband with tickets this year for Father's day. He performed at Abravanel Hall, I love that place, and I was not disappointed. Another stellar performance.
I give this a 5
Classical Mystery Tour in Deer Valley I already reviewed this, so if you want to read it, just click on the name which will link you.
This was our first Red Butte Concert of the year. It was well worth the wait. Red Butte has undergone a face lift, no more port-a-potties. Indoor bathrooms, new stage, larger seating area. Awesome.
Los Lobos was fantastic, I wished we had taken Ron's mother, she would have enjoyed it. I thought they were the better performers. However, my husband and several others thought just the opposite, the Los Lonely Boys stole the show. Either way I would recommend if you get a chance to catch a show.
I give this a 4
The All American Boy still has it. He's HOT. I've lost track of the number of times Ron and I have attended his concerts and we are never disappointed. We love the entire group, Hershal, Kenny and Rolly--not sure if I spelled them correctly. We saw him at the Depot, okay venue, I like him best at Red Butte or Humpries Concerts on the Bay in San Diego. Though the venue was lacking Chris was not.
Sharon Little was the opening act, we'd never heard of her before, however she turned out to be a pleasant surprise. At the first of the year she was a waitress in Philadelphia, then somehow she was discovered and went on tour with Robert Plant and Allison Kraus--there's a pair I'd love to see!
I give this a 5
Garrett Wilkin @ the Parrotheads (A Tribute to Jimmy Buffett)
Very entertaining, good Buffett songs. This was at the Depot also, and it was okay venue for them. We had a good time. They would make a great pre-Buffett Concert band.
I give this a 3 Hey they weren't Jimmy!
A Reggae performer opened for Sheryl, unfortunately he was so forgettable I can't remember his name. James Blunt was up second and completely made up for it. I love his music, and he was a great performer.
It was the first time we had visited this venue, USANA Amphitheater. We will never go there again. People were rude, you could not take your food and drink in like at Red Butte or Deer Valley, and it was very expensive to buy.
Sheryl Crow, was as to be expected, great. Though the venue was so big we couldn't see her, but we could hear. It wasn't the best concert of the year, but if you get a chance to go see her, don't pass it up.
I give the venue a 0 but the concert a 4
I could not wait for Bonnie, talk about a thrill to see her, and she sold out two shows. It was well worth the wait. Her opening act Richard Julian was okay, but to be honest I cannot remember much about his music.
Bonnie sang all her hits, and entertained everyone. If you get a chance to see her don't miss it. Though again it wasn't one of my favorites of the year.
I give this a 4+

You heard right, we saw Bob at Deer Valley, it rained, it poured, it hailed you name it, it was cold. Miserable and muddy. Be we were there to see Bob. Some people left, we did not.


I'm sorry to say that the concert was a disappointment. The music was wonderful, but he didn't play the guitar once, he focused on the key board. He was more worried about his incense behind him, than his freezing cold audience who had paid bookoo bucks to see him.


He came out. The lights turned down, then they came on and there was Bob and he started the song. It ended and the lights went out, two or three seconds later they came back, next song. And so it went for 15 songs. Then he stood up walked to the front, with the rest of the band, they all took a bow and left. That was it, not one word to the audience, the entire show.

We enjoyed every one's company though and made friends. So it wasn't a total loss, but we'll never pay to go see him again. We might as well have been listening to a CD and we could have been inside where it was warm.
I give this a 3 And the only reason it is a 3 is we enjoyed the music, if not Bob.


Al Green
Sharon Little
Yes the same performer that opened for Chris opened for the Reverend. The outdoor venue was better for her voice. After her performance, which we thoroughly enjoyed, I went to buy a CD, and they'd sold out, so I will need to order one online.


I took some pictures, but it's so dark at the Gardens they did not turn out. I'd have loved to taken a picture of Al Green. People were running on the stage to give him hugs. Security had their hands full. And not just with the audience. Al was trying to get his hugs as hard as they were trying to get one. I did purchase his CD and I love it.
I give this show a 4+


Tristan Prettyman
John Butler Trio
G Love and Special Sauce
Last concert of the summer at Red Butte Gardens, and you got it, it rained. What is up with us and cold, rainy concerts? Although it did stop raining into the first set.

The show started early because they had three artists. The first was Tristan Prettyman, we were in for a treat. I was able to pick up one of her CD's, haven't had time to listen to it, but can't wait.


But could it get better? YES! The John Butler Trio, talk about fun, I think it was the best performance of the year at Red Butte, that we saw anyway. They drummed, they had audience participation, they entertained. I want their CD and I want it yesterday.

Then came G Love & Special Sauce. Guitar and harmonica awesome, nice bluesy music, then he opens his mouth and ruins it. How do you put hip hop/rap with blues music? Sheesh. Now that's just my opinion, but we left early. We never leave a concert early, remember we're concert whores!







I give this a 4.33 Averaged, Tristan Prettyman 5, John Butler Trio 5, G Love 3...


The concerts are over for the summer at Red Butte and Deer Valley, but we're not done, we have Jimmy Buffett in San Diego. And well Jimmy deserves his own review!


I promise I'll have a book review soon, it won't be Gone with the Wind, but there will be something.

Have a good evening,
Mary

Comments

Molly Daniels said…
The last concert I attended was Journey and Def Leppard, 2 years ago. The lead singer of Journey was sick, but the guy who filled in did a good job:) And Def Leppard rocked the house...the years have been VERY kind to Joe Elliot! I was ready to become a groupie and just follow them from town to town:)

Popular Posts